Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Design | Journey

I will be the first to admit that I have been l...a...z...y... when it comes to keeping this blog alive over the past couple of months. So much has happened in my personal life that it's hard to even know where to begin. Changes with family, keeping up with friends, starting an amazing new job with a design studio I love and respect, traveling, and making time for my health and well-being all while maintaining a busy freelance career... I've been tired y'all! 2012 has only just begun but it feels like I've crammed an entire years worth of activities into January, February and March. Now that I'm getting into more of a routine it feels like an appropriate time to share the things I love once more.

This particular post is a bit outside of my norm. Video games were a hobby of mine when I was younger but somewhere along the line, when games started getting almost too realistic, I started losing interest. It's funny being a graphic designer because I'm constantly interacting with new forms of technology, but with my video games I want it old school. I miss the days of Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Mario Kart. I miss my Gameboy and Super Nintendo!

I came across this article on Yahoo this morning and thought to myself, "I want to play this game like yesterday!"

Created by acclaimed independent developer thatgamecompany, Journey is an exploratory adventure that sees players wandering across a massive desert as they slowly make their way to a beacon of light atop a faraway mountain. They'll come across other online players along the way, but in what's considered a significant breach of gamer protocol, no talking is allowed, forcing players to find other ways to communicate with one another.



Even though I don't keep up with video games and reviews I will say that Journey is receiving some of the highest praise and is being considered, "The most beautiful game of its time," according to IGN.

Rainy days like today make me want to go home and whip up a pot of chicken meatball minestrone in my crock pot, bust out my roommates' PS3 and download Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment