Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dish | Open-Face Prosciutto, Arugula, Red Onion Marmalade & Ricotta Sandwich


I just love sandwiches. When I'm older - much much older - and set in my ways, no less then 3 days a week I will still crave a turkey sandwich on dutch crunch, with bacon, avocado, red onion, provolone cheese, tomato, lettuce and just a hint of mayonnaise and cranberry mustard. I guess you could call this MY sandwich seeing as I get it so often. I got to thinking that maybe I could make this sandwich at home for once but honestly I just didn't feel like buying all of that stuff for a sandwich I get at the Whole Foods in Noe Valley for way cheaper. So... the idea of trying something new crossed my mind. This flavorful open-face sandwich comes from the December 2007 Bon Appétit. The original version didn't include arugula or olive bread, but I definitely can't take credit for the red onion marmalade... it takes the sandwich to another level. This was so quick and easy and way cheaper then spending $50 on groceries to make MY sandwich. Here's to trying new things!

OPEN-FACE PROSCIUTTO, ARUGULA, RED ONION MARMALADE & RICOTTA SANDWICH  |  Recipe inspire by Bon Appétit December 2007

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup thinly sliced red onions
1/2 tablespoon golden brown sugar
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
Pinch of dried crushed red pepper
4 1/2-inch-thick slices olive bread
4 thin slices prosciutto
Fresh ricotta cheese

1/2 cup baby arugula

1  |  Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and sugar. Cook until dark brown and tender, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Mix in vinegar and crushed pepper. Cook until mixture is thick, about 1 minute. Season marmalade generously to taste with salt and pepper.

2  |  Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange bread on baking sheet. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake until crusty, about 8 minutes.

3  |  Spread ricotta cheese on each toast. Overlap 2 prosciutto slices on each toast. Top with marmalade. Garnish with baby arugula and freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment