Saturday, August 13, 2011

D&D Restaurant Rating | Just For You Cafe

I recently did a review on Hard Knox Cafe - one of my favorite spots in the Dogpatch - and here I am, back with another review from a cozy little spot just around the corner... Just For You Cafe. The entire corner of 3rd & 22nd Street is a food lovers dreamland with the more upscale Serpentine across the street and the cities newest/favorite ice cream spot Mr. & Mrs. Miscellaneous next to that! I wish I had the stomach to challenge myself to some sort of all-you-can-eat Dogpatch extravaganza, but then I remember nobody would be competing alongside myself, and there would be no prize. Unless you consider a food coma a prize.

Just For You Cafe "started out in 1990 as a little bitty diner on 18th Street in Potrero Hill, a sleepy neighborhood on the east edge of San Francisco. We had two tables and a countertop that sat a dozen folks elbow-to-elbow. The place was always packed with patient customers eager for some good home-cooking, even if it meant waiting 45 minutes for Sunday brunch at the one table we had that could seat four people. In 2002, we moved to our current location in Dogpatch, a gritty little neighborhood of old Victorians, warehouses and factories at the foot of Potrero Hill, just a few blocks from the shipyards of San Francisco Bay. We’re located right off 3rd Street - the old main route into San Francisco - and you can look up the road to see the new ballpark, home of the San Francisco Giants baseball team."

The first thing you should do when you get to Just For You is order the beignets! Out of the few times I've gone I have always been welcomed and greeted with the question, "Do you guys want to start with some beignets?" to which I always answer, "Yes!" They're basically a meal on their own so order the single dish if you want a snack but I highly recommend getting the order of three... you won't regret it. It's also worth noting that eating these with maple syrup on top can/will change your life.


As for the food, Ryan made a very smart choice ordering the homemade biscuits & gravy. These guys are known for their breads. Their white, wheat and cinnamon-raisin bread is baked right on location - with no additives or preservatives - and you can buy a loaf to take home! I snuck a few bites of the biscuits & gravy and I have to say for being such a heavy meal historically, the biscuits at Just For You were light and fluffy and beyond tasty! I did a breakfast-lunch combo of sorts in ordering the fried egg sandwich. Basically a BLT with a perfectly fried egg between two slices of their delicious wheat bread. It was everything you could ask for from a small independent diner. Just For You is one of those places I wish I could keep secret and only share with the people that matter most to me. It just feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment