Monday, May 9, 2011

D&D Restaurant Rating | Gracias Madre

I had a fantastic day off. I spent most of it with my friend Henry at Dolores Park and throughout the Mission. I was in the mood for Mexican food so we made our way over to Gracias Madre. I'm new to Gracias Madre, but I'm hooked already. Their website sums it up: We proudly serve Organic Mexican Cuisine to the Mission District of San Francisco.

I wouldn't call Gracias Madre a typical Mexican food restaurant for the Mission District. For starters, it's 100% vegan and organic. Their menu is seasonal and determined by what is currently available at their organic farm in Pleasants Valley, California, the Be Love Farm. All of their cheeses, milks and ice creams are made using nuts. Their tortillas and tamales are handmade from non-GMO organic heirloom corn, some of which is grown by them on the Be Love Farm.


The Empanada, a homemade pastry filled with poblano chiles, mushrooms and onions, served on a bed of spicy mole sauce, topped with cashew cream went well alongside the house margaritas, which were tart and perfectly salted. I had the Tamal for my entree which had stoneground heirloom masa steamed in the husk filled with sauteed zucchini and onions, served with beans and escabeche. It could have been the margaritas, it could have been the warm weather, but I'm confident in my 5 star rating of this place. The location is great, they have a decent happy hour, and most importantly the food is exceptional. The portions were dead on. I left feeling completely satisfied and energized for my walk home.

 

1 comment: