Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dish | Shrimp Po'Boy

The past two weeks has been a bit hectic so I haven't had time to post much. A good four days of that was a little vacation to the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs with my fabulous friends Henry and Taylor. 110 degree weather, poolside, and too many delicious cocktails to count. It was just what I needed!

I'm happy to be back now. Ryan just got home from working in Europe so I actually have someone to cook for these days. San Francisco has been beautiful lately, but yesterday caught me and I'm pretty sure everyone else off guard. It was a gloomy day to say the least. I needed some spice in my life! I decided to attempt this recipe I had seen a few weeks back in Bon Appétit after going out to lunch with my friend Chelsea at Just For You Cafe where we had twin lunches of Lemonade and Shrimp Po'Boys.

SHRIMP PO'BOYS  |  Recipe inspired by Just For You Cafe and Bon Appétit June 2011

2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Vegetable oil for frying
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp (about 36), peeled, deveined
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 8"-long French rolls, split horizontally
Rémoulade or mayonnaise
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Sliced tomatoes
Dill pickles
Hot pepper sauce

1  |  Whisk first 8 ingredients in a small bowl to blend. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of a heavy wide pot. Add enough oil to measure 2". Heat over medium heat to 350°.

2  |  Meanwhile, place shrimp and 2 tablespoons spice mix in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Pour buttermilk into another medium bowl. Whisk flour and cornmeal in another medium bowl. Dip seasoned shrimp briefly in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture. Working in batches, fry shrimp, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

3  |  Open rolls and spread cut sides with rémoulade. Top with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and shrimp. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.


I served cornbread and roasted garlic red potatoes with rosemary on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment